An Ounce of Prevention...
As with any floor covering material, a few moments of care and a little common sense can go a long way in keeping your new hardwood floor looking its best. Here are a few simple suggestions to make your floor care easier:
- If your floor abuts exterior doors, put outside door mats at the entrances to keep dirt and moisture from being tracked into your hardwood floor.
- Sweep or vacuum floors as often as required to remove loose dirt or grit before it can scratch the surface of the floor.
- High traffic areas such as kitchens, hallways, and stairs should be periodically recoated to maintain protection of wood and to avoid further sanding.
- Never damp mop a wood floor or apply an oil base wax cleaner as water and oil cleaners can dull the finish and can prevent us from buffing or re-coating floor surfaces.
- Wipe up spills as soon as possible before they get sticky or dry. Remove dried spills with a well wrung out cloth. We recommend the use of a warm water and vinegar mixture or
Woodwise Hardwood Floor Cleaner.
- Use floor protectors on the legs of furniture to avoid scratches. We recommend EZ Glides. When moving heavy furniture or appliances, slip a blanket or piece or carpet, face down, under each leg and slide the furniture carefully.
- Ball type casters on furniture may damage hardwood flooring. Be certain that barrel type wheels or wide flat glides are used to protect your hardwood floor.
- Spike or stiletto high heel shoe traffic causes denting and related damage to hardwood floors due to the extremely high compressive force they generate. Such footwear can produce dynamic loads in excess of 1000 lbs per square inch even when worn by persons of slight build.
- A humidifier is recommended to prevent excessive shrinkage in wood floors due to low humidity levels. Wood stoves and electric heat tend to create very dry conditions. Proper humidity levels can be maintained by use of an air conditioner, dehumidifier or by turning on your heating system periodically during the summer months.
Please contact us with any questions or comments you may have at any time. We hope this information has helped you.
© Goddard Floor Specialists, Inc., Weston, MA 02493